Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day trip to the Grand Canyon

The kids have been bugging Dan to "Go for a ride in the truck" for a while now. So, today we decided to drive to the Grand Canyon, but take the dirt road access through the Arizona strip. On the way we saw some Indian rock art:

And then we stopped at this old house and took a few pictures inside.


When we got to a fork in the road to two different areas of the Grand Canyon we took the "Lava Falls" route first. When we got there we realized that the hike that was involved wasn't something that we would be able to do today, so I just took a few pictures and we drove back to the other route.




It was pretty amazing to see the Grand Canyon from this perspective. No guard rails and the wind blowing like crazy. It definitely gave me a queazy stomach to look over the edge 3000 feet down a cliff face. But we were able to see Lava Rapid, which was awesome. It doesn't look as scary as it does when you are right next to it, contemplating which route to take in your raft.

Because of all the comments I got asking how long it took us to get there, I figured I would just add a little addition to the end of this post letting you all know a little more information:

Going off of what Dan says and what I remember, I would say it took us approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to that particular rim of the Grand Canyon. From the time we left home to the time we got home it was a total of 7 hours, but we were in the truck driving really fast on a dirt road the whole time. If you were in a different kind of vehicle then it would take a lot longer. To get to the Lava Falls hike you would either have to walk from the fork in the road or have a high clearance vehicle (like a truck or jeep). It's a very rocky road. The kids did get tired and bored by the time we were driving home and had a hard time with that part of the trip. It felt like the drive home was the longest part, even though we did make good time going home. We also took a different route home, going through Colorado City and Hurricane.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Cool! How long did it take you to get there?

Brenda said...

That looks like a fun time! I was also wondering how long away from you it was?

All for J's said...

Awesome! I LOVE exploring! It looks like you all had a wonderful time. Which route did you take? I'm not familiar with this dirt road. The pictures taken with your new camera look great :)

Tammy Anderson said...

That looks like a fun day with the family! I wish we were close enough to take a day trip to the grand canyon. I have only been to the south rim while on my honeymoon. If it didn't take too long it would be fun to go again when we come to visit!

Heidi said...

Cute new look!

Chantel said...

Going off of what Dan says and what I remember, I would say it took us approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to that particular rim of the Grand Canyon. From the time we left home to the time we got home it was a total of 7 hours, but we were in the truck driving really fast on a dirt road the whole time. If you were in a different kind of vehicle then it would take a lot longer. To get to the Lava Falls hike you would either have to walk from the fork in the road or have a high clearance vehicle (like a truck or jeep). It's a very rocky road.