Thursday, April 9, 2009

Finishing the Garden and Visiting with My Parents

Today we rented a tiller and were able to finish getting our garden planted. Now we just get to wait and see what happens.


Later in the day we were surprised by my parents showing up for the weekend. What a great surprise. They brought with them a set of Junior Golf Clubs that they bought for the kids. I wished I had gotten a picture of Jacyn trying to carry in the box with my Dad, it was so cute.

Saturday we took the kids over to Albertson's to participate in an egg hunt that they do there every year. It's a lot of fun. They block off a few isles and put a bunch of eggs on the floor of the isle then let the kids go get them. All three kids did very well at this egg hunt, coming home with a bunch of eggs.

Later that afternoon, we had planned on going to a Ducky Drop that was being held at our local rec center, but by the time we got there they were all sold out. Apparently they had been pre-selling the tickets and I didn't know that. The kids were very upset that they didn't get to do the ducky drop, so we decided to check out the new library that was right next door. Thomas got his very own library card and he checked out 6 books. Going to the library was a very good idea. Here's Jacyn and Papa outside of the library.

We finished the day off by decorating eggs. I've decided not to do the traditional egg dying anymore. It's so messy and doing eggs this way is so much more exciting, in my opinion. This is my favorite way to dye eggs, it's called silk-dyed easter eggs and I learned it from Martha Stewart a few years ago. Here's the kids with our set up (one pile of the used silk, one pile of the used cotton pieces and then the finished eggs). Thomas is unwrapping one of the eggs.
Thomas is finished unwrapping the egg and he and Jacyn are inspecting their creation.

After unwrapping all the eggs we rubbed them with oil to make them shiny.

And Voila, our beautiful eggs. Some of these eggs had some extra color added to them by my mom and I with some cool little egg dying sticks that I found at Walmart last year.

All ready for bed and for the Easter Bunny to come tomorrow!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Those eggs look so cool! The link didn't work. Will you send it to me please? I'd love to learn how to do that.

Chantel said...

I fixed the link, it should work now. Sorry about that.