Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 2010 Flood

We weren’t here for the 100 year flood of 2005.  I just remember watching it on the news, not really knowing where any of those things were actually happening.  I didn’t know the area down here very well and we didn’t have any friends who lived here, so we were pretty separated from it all.  This year we had a second 100 year flood (that makes two 100 year floods within 5 years of each other) what are the odds.  Thank goodness they learned a lot from that last flood and were able to fix the river banks so that when this flood happened there wasn’t as much damage as the last time.  I hadn’t left the house at all during this rainy time and all I knew was what I had heard on the news and/or from Dan when he would drive 0ver the river to go back and forth to work.   I was able to snap this picture of the river that we cross on a daily basis with my phone.  It probably won’t make much of an impact on anyone who hasn’t seen what this river looks like normally.  I’ll have to snap a picture of what it looks like on a regular basis and update this post later.  There is so much water under this bridge that I’m driving on that it’s almost hitting the bridge.  Under normal circumstances this area of the river is only deep enough to come up to my shins and you can drive a vehicle under the bridge.

Flooded River

The night before the rain slowed and the river waters subsided I decided that I had should go get a better look at the river, from a different area.  Here are the pictures that I took.  Again, I’ll update this post with what the river currently looks like later.

IMG_4103

I downloaded the following picture from a post on facebook.  This picture was taken from a gated community just above the area where I took the above picture. 

river from stone cliff

No comments: