Saturday, August 22, 2009

Birthday Party Wind/Sand Storm

So, today the kids and I went to our neighbor Jessica's birthday party at a local park with a splash pad. It was a little overcast, but usually that doesn't mean much. Well, this time it meant A LOT. At first things were okay, it was starting to get a little windy, but not too bad. The kids were able to get a little wet in the splash pad and play on the playground. I was able to eat a little bit of the yummy food that was made and brought. Then it all just went to he** from there. The wind really picked up, fast. Sand started blowing and tumble weeds started blowing into us. Then the wind started blowing even harder and it was turning the sand that was blowing into mud because it was being blown through the splash pad's fountains. The kids were all huddled together crying and I was able to see some of the towels being blown away, so I ran after the towels and flung them over the kids. The other parents rushed the kids to the cars and I just started running around grabbing everything I could see, which was hard to do because the sand storm was so bad that you could only see maybe a few feet in front of you. I found two cameras, car keys, some clothes, a cake server, paper plates still in their packaging and my purse was caked with mud. I picked up everything I could see and ran to the van and shoved it in there and ran back for more stuff. In the end the birthday cake (there were actually three cakes) were ruined, the pasta salad (which was totally awesome) was ruined and the jello was ruined. But the sandwiches, fruit, drinks, cups, plates and all of the presents (except for one outfit that was blown onto the grass and got red dirt/mud all over it, and the top was white) were fine. We all went home got cleaned up and went over to the party girl's house and were able to finish the party there. It was certainly a birthday party that she won't quickly forget. When the kids and I got home I had Thomas take a picture of me, because it was so bad.

I still have sand in my ears. I think my shorts will be ruined, they were white. The red dirt down here is not very forgiving. If anyone has any hints on how to get red dirt out of white clothes, I would really appreciate it. I actually ended up getting into the shower with the clothes on, so I could rinse most of the dirt off of them before putting them into my washing machine. I even had stickers in between my toes from those darn tumble weeds. Ouch!

I got this picture of Jacyn and Jessica at the party at her house. They are best friends. Jessica calls Jacyn "her baby" and Jacyn gets so upset when Jessica has to go home after playing with her. Jessica's family is moving next weekend and we are so sad. I'm sure Jacyn doesn't know, and I don't know what she is going to do without having Jessica around. I'm sad.

2 comments:

Tammy Anderson said...

That storm must have been awful. You were dirty! I bet Jessica's family was glad you were so helpful. It will be sad for the kids when Jessica moves. She was a very nice girl, especially with Jacyn.

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness! I never knew a sandstorm could turn into a mud storm!