
Well, actually I think Dan and Thomas are the proudest owners, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I can look at it and not get creeped out, so that's good. One of Dan's managers, Ursula, caught it at her house and brought it to work for Dan to bring home to Thomas. After Dan heard that she had been finding a lot of them at her house, he asked her to bring him one, because he knew Thomas would love it. And of course, Thomas loves it. He kept saying "thank you, thank you, thank you" to Dan when he came home from work with the spider. Dan told him, don't thank me, thank Ursula. So, Thomas wrote a note to Ursula thanking her so much for the tarantula and telling her that he loved it. We just put him in his new cage (a 10 gallon fish tank with a metal mesh top) and he's already climbed up to the lid and is currently hanging upside down. That does worry me a bit, because apparently tarantula's are very fragile and if he falls from that height he could hurt himself. I did find out some interesting facts about tarantula's that I didn't know before researching them though: 1) You can fix a wound by using super glue. 2) Their blood is whitish/bluish in color. 3) They are as fragile as an egg. 4) They can regrow their legs if they happen to lose one. 5) They molt (lose their exoskeleton) and can sometimes get stuck and die without some help. And finally, 6) If they haven't eaten their cricket dinner within 24 hours, then you have to take the crickets out of the cage or the crickets can kill the tarantula. Weird.
Thomas named him Harry!


4 comments:
we never had that cricket problem...we left a bunch of crickets in there regularly and they never attacked. And just so you know...right before they molt, you will be absolutely convinced that it is dead...so don't let Thomas freak out...it will be completely still and cold for days and then suddenly one morning there will be two in there...one skin (with hair and everything, so it looks totally real) and your fresh, new, clean tarantula. Does he have a name?
I hope Thomas loves his new pet. I'm ok with the spiders outside, but not when they enter the house.
Enjoy and let me know how it goes.
Just gotta say, you are a FAR better woman than I am! I wouldn't even let Matt THINK about bringing one of those things home!
Okay--the freakiest part of that whole post is that Ursula keeps finding them at her house! Ahh!
Post a Comment