My Grandma, whom liked to be called Grandma Leila by my kids because she didn't like the thought of being a Great Grandma, passed away at 2:00 a.m. this morning. She turned 90 years old on November 2, 2009 and my Aunt Shari threw her a big party and I hear it was a great success. She was able to see friends and family that she hadn't seen in years and my Aunt Linda and Uncle Pat flew in from Spain to attend. A couple days ago she was acting strangely with my Dad on the phone, so he called his sister Shari and after she had spoken to her on the phone she decided to call an ambulance to take her to the hospital. My Grandma had pneumonia and her lungs were filled with fluid. She was on a full face oxygen mask and had to have a main line put in to keep her fluids up. She was stabilized and then the next day her heart stopped, twice. They found out that she had fluid built up around her heart and it was too thick to take out with a syringe and she wouldn't survive surgery, so there was nothing more the doctors could do. Yesterday she asked my Dad to take her home, get all the stuff off of her and promise to sit down with her and her two other kids and talk over a Gin and Tonic. So, that's what my Dad did, he got her released from the hospital, against doctor's orders, and they went home and had a wonderful talk for at least an hour or so. She told her boys that she was tired and asked them to leave, so they did. My Aunt Shari stayed with her through the night and then she passed away very early the next morning. She was happy and comfortable in her own home and surrounded by her children. I believe that is the best way that anyone could ask to go. We will surely miss you Grandma. I am so thankful that I was able to speak with you on Christmas Day and thank you for giving me your china. When I saw what was in the boxes that my parents brought inside I cried. I never asked for your china, I never even expressed an interest in it, but you just knew that it was something that was perfect for my family. I love you so much Grandma, my children loved you so much. I am so proud that they were able to know their Great Grandmother. Below are a few pictures from the last 7 or so years that I have of my Grandma Leila. She rarely let you take her picture, so these photos are rare.
Here is Grandma Leila and Thomas when he was just a little baby.

More recently, Grandma Leila with Jacyn, on October 20, 2007. Jacyn was almost 3 months old. I believe this was the first time she ever met Jacyn.

Another visit with Grandma on June 2, 2008. Jacyn was 10 months old.

And, finally, last Christmas, 2008. Our last Christmas that we were able to spend with Grandma. She's talking to Jacyn in this picture. That Christmas she gave Jacyn some little books that had buttons that you could push and they would play music. Jacyn just loved those books.


A blurry but great picture of Grandma Leila smiling and talking and having a great Christmas.

For the last several years, I can't even remember how long it's been, my Grandma has been giving all her children and grandchildren monetary gifts that she stashes in clever ways for us to try and figure out how to get to it. It's usually been in some type of puzzle box and it's been something that we all would look forward to seeing what she had come up with "this" year. Your puzzle boxes will be something that I think we will have to try to keep as a tradition for every Christmas, to keep your spirit with us each holiday season. Here's a picture of my sister and her husband trying to open their puzzle boxes last Christmas. This puzzle box was one of my favorites. It's always been so fun to see who ends up opening theirs the fastest and who ends up either just breaking the box (which only happened once, I think) or not being able to open theirs without some help from others.

The toughest part of losing my Grandma right now is that I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and can not drive the 4 hours up and back to Salt Lake to attend her funeral. I was offered a buddy pass from my friend who works for Delta Airlines, but I don't think that it would be safe for me to fly this pregnant either. I know that my immediate family understands my situation and I know that my Grandma understands as well, but it's still hard not to be able to be with my relatives at this difficult time. Rest in Peace Grandma and tell Grandpa "Hi" from us.
5 comments:
I'm so glad that they honored her wishes. She sounds like quite the spunky lady.
Chantel,
I'm so sorry about your Grandma. I know she is waiting gladly with your little one until he is born. So even though you can't be there for her funeral you will get a peice of heaven in you home in just a few short weeks. Love always,
Tammy
What a nice post, Chantel. What a blessing that Grandma got to leave these earth in the way that she wanted. I'm sure she is very happy now, and much more comfortable!
You sure have some great memories and traditions to pass on.
Chantel, I'm your dad's cousin Leslie from Idaho. Your sister and mom gave me your site because they said I should see it. You've done a great job capturing my Aunt Leila...You knew her the last years that I've missed out on.... I have fond memories as a young person going to SLC for Easter, building a snow bunny in the back yard, listening to stories when my mother, Norma, and Aunt Lois and Aunt Leila got together. They were spunky women who lived their lives fully to the last. Aunt Lois is still sharp at 97! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you and your family but this blog helps me to know you a bit. I'll be sure to check in regularly to view your posts. Good luck with that new little one. Enjoy!
Leslie Kaiser
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma! We were in a similar predicament with my Grandmother and my last pregnancy. It's not easy. Hang in there, my dear! And when you have that sweet baby boy, show him pictures of her. I'm sure he'll recognize her!
Post a Comment